Special Needs Dentistry Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: When do I start to take my disabled child to a dentist? 
A: At 12 months of age or when the first teeth appear.

Q: What type of toothbrush should I use for my disabled child/adult?
A: A small soft toothbrush should be the first type to try. 
For babies, you may use a wet flannel to wipe the teeth or Infadent finger brush. 
Other brushes which may be recommended by a dentist include a 3 sided toothbrush or a battery operated toothbrush 
Always try brushing the hand first, followed by the area around the mouth before placing the brush in the mouth. 
Desensitisation may be needed prior to using a toothbrush if the patient has heightened sensitivities. Please consult your Special Needs Dentist or occupational therapist.

Q: What type of toothpaste should I use for my disabled child/adult? 
A: A regular fluoride toothpaste should be used sparingly (a pea sized amount) twice per day. It is recommended that all patients should not rinse after toothpaste, but spit or wipe out the excess.(ARCPOH guidelines March 2009) 
Dentists may also recommend toothpaste with a higher concentration of fluoride or with tartar control properties.

Q: Should my child/adult use a mouth wash? 
A: Mouth washes may benefit some people who have particular problems. Please consult your Special Needs Dentist for your individual regime.

[There are a few more Special Needs Dental Care Frequently Asked Questions over here...